Thursday, December 16, 2010

Private Investigator Hunts Budgie Killer

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

The birds' owner, Andrew Pooley, 58, returned home on August 20 to discover that two of his prize exhibits, including Penmead Pride, had been killed and 21 others, worth £2,000, stolen.

The theft and destruction of the prize-winning budgies took place the night before the Cornwall Budgerigar Show – where Penmead Pride was crowned champion last year – leading to suspicion it may have been carried out by a rival.

Mr Pooley, from Delabole in Cornwall, has sought help from John Hayward, a former Thames Valley Police detective.

He announced today that he would offer a reward of around £200 for information leading to the birds' safe return or to the arrest and conviction of the thieves.

Mr Pooley said: ''Either somebody hates me a lot and wanted to kill that bird to hurt me or they've accidentally stepped on the birds.

''You can't explain to somebody how you feel. All my life I've been trying to breed a bird like this and I eventually got there.

''I had two or three like it to be honest, which were stolen and taken away from me and this one (Penmead Pride) was killed.

''I picked it up in my hand and I just couldn't believe that somebody had killed that bird – it's like me losing one of my children.''

Mr Pooley added that concern for the stolen budgerigars' welfare remains high.


Read more here and follow us on Twitter!


No comments: